Head & Neck 21 to 30
Media: Airway model.
On the model, identify the structures of the larynx.
- Cartilages – thyroid (20), cricoid, epiglottis (54), (arytenoids, corniculate, cuneiform)
- Ligaments – cricothyroid membrane (23), thyrohyoid (21, 22), vocal cords (60)
- Muscles – cricothyroid muscle (80), cricoarytenoid muscle
- Spaces and folds – vallecula, aryepiglottic folds (57), piriform recess
- 5 of 6 bold plus 2 others to pass.
What is the innervation of the larynx?
- Cranial nerve X (Vagus)
- Inferior laryngeal nerve
- Terminal branch of Recurrent laryngeal nerve
- These supply all intrinsic muscles of the larynx except for the cricothyroid muscle, sensory below cords
- External laryngeal supplies the cricothyroid muscle
- Internal laryngeal nerve – sensory above cords
- (Internal and external laryngeal nerves are both branches of the superior laryngeal nerve)
- Bold with details of one to pass.